Re: gnome-list digest, Vol 1 #707 - 10 msgs

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 19:58:18 +0200
> From: mawarkus t-online de (Matthias Warkus)
> To: gnome-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: This sucks
>
> +++ Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 08:16:25AM -0700 +++
> Noah Roberts e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> > Third, something that would make life a lot easier for most of
> > us.......everything that is REQUIRED to run gnome should be in a
> > single package.
>
> Do you realise how big that package would be?

Actually, no I don't.  I have no idea what is required for gnome.....that is part of the problem.

And honestly, if the fundamental requirements for gnome are so numerous then obviously that says something about Gnome's design.

What should be done, is to make a list of everything that is absolutely fundamental to gnome....libraries and components that are REQUIRED before most gnome applications will run.  Make another list of fundamental applications....applications that are not required, but pretty much make up the base gnome system.  Then
make another list of other stuff that is cool but optional....and the stuff that those things depend on if they are outside of the base gnome.

Things that could be left out of the list....glibc (duh), gtk....anything which is found on most if not all distributions.

I only know of a few things that are esential....GConf, gnome-core, gnome-lib?, bonobo,....what else I could make a list of slackware packages that are required in the gnome installation, but I am not sure that that would accurately portray what is required for a gnome install from source.

I have said it before on this list several times.  The KDE source setup is much nicer then Gnome....I like Gnome better, but KDE is miles easier to build.....I think that Gnome could greatly improve on this one thing and make a much better and more available system, which is what we want right?