Re: This sucks

Larry wrote:

Well I need to find another file that is not a part of the source distribution. I don't think I will ever get the gnome-vfs-1.0.1
built. There are tons of files that it requires to build, that are not
a part of the source distribution on the Source Download web page.
This is my first experience with Gnome and so far I'm not impressed at all. Of all the WMs I've built, I have never had this much trouble before. Even building and installing QT and KDE wasn't this much of a chore.

It's true that the list of base packages at

 http://www.gnome.org/start/installing/index.php3

is incomplete.

Documentation, and especially the maintenance of information on the web sites is

usually an illness of free software projects :(

The best thing would probably be to download all the packages from the directory

 ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/stable/latest/sources

Does anyone know what and where gconf/gconf.h is?

You find this in the package GConf-1.0.1.tar.gz from the above ftp site.

Thanks for the help on OAF.. I got it built and installed. BTW what is OAF
and why is it needed to build GNOME?

OAF is the object activation framework, it's kinda like the object registry for ORBit (the CORBA implementation of gnome).

Have you checked out ximian? They have prepared cool downloadable binary packages for the whole gnome.
--
Reinhard Mueller
GNU Enterprise project