fontmap

In preparation for debugging my problem with gnumeric hanging (see my message of 1/14), I built it from the source tarball. Now when I try to run it, I get an error alert saying it can't find a suitable default font, and can't find my fontmap file in the expected location and implies that the expected location is /usr/share/fonts. It also suggests that I check my gnome-print installation.

I have confirmed that I have no /usr/share/fonts/fontmap. When I do rpm -ql gnome-print, no such file is listed. But I thought I would try to reinstall gnome-print anyway. When I do so, this happens:

# rpm -Uvh --force gnome-print-0.25-0_helix_1.i386.rpm
/usr/share/fonts/fontmap

... and it just hangs there forever. I don't know how to interpret this. What is the gnome-print install trying (unsuccessfully) to do? Is it trying to create fontmap? Is it too looking for it (like gnumeric)? If so, how do I get one?

I can file the suggested bug report, but first I thought I'd ask about it here. I assume it's a gnome-print problem and not a gnumeric problem.
-- David