gnome-db doesn't work

After spending MANY hours installing all the crap I need for gnome-db I can't
get it to work.  Running gnomedb-mgr results in *nothing*.  Running gnomedb-fe
results in this:

Bonobo-WARNING **: Activating 'OAFIID:Bonobo_Moniker_Oaf' returned nothing

Bonobo-CRITICAL **: file bonobo-moniker-util.c: line 497 (bonobo_moniker_client_resolve_default):
assertion `moniker != CORBA_OBJECT_NIL' failed.

Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from (NULL) pointer to `BonoboWidget'

** WARNING **: Could not load OAFIID:GNOME_DB_Connection_Control

Bonobo-CRITICAL **: file bonobo-widget.c: line 277 (bonobo_widget_get_control_frame):
assertion `bonobo_widget != NULL' failed.

Bonobo-CRITICAL **: file bonobo-control-frame.c: line 609 (bonobo_control_frame_set_autoactivate):
assertion `BONOBO_IS_CONTROL_FRAME (control_frame)' failed.

Bonobo-CRITICAL **: file bonobo-control-frame.c: line 535 (bonobo_control_frame_control_activate):
assertion `BONOBO_IS_CONTROL_FRAME (control_frame)' failed.

There is apperently no useful documentation on how to set this thing up.  I
have done everything I can think of and can't get it to work.  What the hell
is going on?

Also, the libgda docs have syntax for a file that is not specified.  So, I think
I could create a datasource if I only knew where to do it.

Sorry for being curt, have spent hours of pure irritation on this and its all
for nothing.  Thanks for any help.