Unable to get GDM going

I have Xfree86 4.0.2 running..  It comes up into its default window manager
with startx.

But, when I attempt to start GDM it seems to start coming up, but then after
a second or so the screen flickers back to a blank text screen, then back to
the gnome graphics screen, then back to blank text.  This repeats about 10
times and then just sits at the "grey" background with the X mouse pointer.

Any ideas as to what is going on?

Also, if I try to start GDM as anyone other than root it says that Root
wants only to run gdm.  How do I change that.

And, startx doesnt start right into Gnome.  Is this correct or no?

I looked in the faq on gnome.org but didnt find anything to help me.

Thanks,
Scott