Menus all gone

This damned thing just deleted ALL of my menus with a single click.
Apparently my focus settings need adjusting. I was attempting to delete
a single app with the menu editor and the confirmation popped up behind
the window. I clicked a second time, ditto.  But this time I saw it;
moved the window and clicked on the two confirmations and watched
helplessly as every menu disappeared.  Is there a fix?  Are the menu
items saved somewhere?  If so, where would I restore them to?