Re: cable modem issue

My cable modem came up w/o a hitch with dns and a stock rh 6.1 install.  I've
copied my ifgcg-eth0 and /etc/resolve.conf for you below:

#/etc/resolve.conf
search austin.rr.com rr.com
nameserver 24.93.35.32
nameserver 24.93.34.33
nameserver 24.93.35.64

ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE="eth0"
USERCTL=no
ONBOOT="yes"
BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
BROADCAST=
NETWORK=
NETMASK=""
IPADDR=""
IPXNETNUM_802_2=""
IPXPRIMARY_802_2="no"
IPXACTIVE_802_2="no"
IPXNETNUM_802_3=""
IPXPRIMARY_802_3="no"
IPXACTIVE_802_3="no"
IPXNETNUM_ETHERII=""
IPXPRIMARY_ETHERII="no"
IPXACTIVE_ETHERII="no"
IPXNETNUM_SNAP=""
IPXPRIMARY_SNAP="no"
IPXACTIVE_SNAP="no"

/etc/network
NETWORKING=yes
FORWARD_IPV4=true

I use a firewall now (you should consider this too - I had several attempts /
week to login to my system that weren't me, plus you *must* stay current on
all security patches if you're going to be direct connect to the internet)

If you have an old system (I'm using a 386 with 16M of ram, no hard drive) and
an extra NIC, I would setup a firewall using the linux router project or
floppyfw.  This also simplifies your network setup, since you can have a static
192.168.n.n IP.