Re: Gnome / Enlightenment with Dual head

Hi

This is probably a bit of a kludge (it's also an answer to my own question)

It is possible to get 2 gnome session on running on a dual head system.
The only problems I have so far is that the saved session is the same for
both screens. Also, one of the screens takes quite a while to start up.

Attached are the two files I use to get it going....

I'm a Gnome newbie so please feel free to offer better solutions. Also,
don't ask me any tough questions. I probably won't know the answers...

John Gluck wrote:

> Hi
>
> I downloaded all the sources for gnome about 2 weeks ago.
> I am using enlightenment a my window manager.
>
> I am also running the 2.4-test10 kernel with XFree86 4.01c
>
> Everything is built from sources.
>
> I have enlightenment running and it works with both my monitors attached
> to a Matrox G400Max. Each monitor is treated as an individual screen
> (not using xinerama).
> I don't want to use xinerama because that just stretches the desktop
> across the 2 monitors (essentially 1 screen)
>
> I am trying to get a gnome session to start on the second screen and
> can't seem to manage to get it to work. The second monitor is always
> enlightenment. The first monitor is gnome.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas???
>
> TIA
>
> John Gluck

#!/bin/sh
# $XConsortium: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.4 91/08/22 11:41:34 rws Exp $

userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources
sysmodmap=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

# merge in defaults and keymaps

if [ -f $sysresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $sysresources
fi

if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $sysmodmap
fi

if [ -f $userresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $userresources
 fi

if [ -f $usermodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $usermodmap
fi

# start some nice programs

/opt/enlightenment/bin/enlightenment &
/opt/bin/xscreensaver &
export DISPLAY=:0.0
/opt/bin/gnome-session &
export DISPLAY=:0.1
exec /opt/bin/gnome-session

#!/bin/sh

# $XConsortium: startx.cpp,v 1.4 91/08/22 11:41:29 rws Exp $
# $XFree86: xc/programs/xinit/startx.cpp,v 3.2 1998/12/20 11:58:22 dawes Exp $
#
# This is just a sample implementation of a slightly less primitive
# interface than xinit.  It looks for user .xinitrc and .xserverrc
# files, then system xinitrc and xserverrc files, else lets xinit choose
# its default.  The system xinitrc should probably do things like check
# for .Xresources files and merge them in, startup up a window manager,
# and pop a clock and serveral xterms.
#
# Site administrators are STRONGLY urged to write nicer versions.
#

userclientrc=$HOME/.xinitrc
userserverrc=$HOME/.xserverrc
sysclientrc=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc
sysserverrc=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc
clientargs=""
serverargs=""

if [ -f $userclientrc ]; then
    clientargs=$userclientrc
else if [ -f $sysclientrc ]; then
    clientargs=$sysclientrc
fi
fi

if [ -f $userserverrc ]; then
    serverargs=$userserverrc
else if [ -f $sysserverrc ]; then
    serverargs=$sysserverrc
fi
fi

whoseargs="client"
while [ "x$1" != "x" ]; do
    case "$1" in
	/''*|\.*)	if [ "$whoseargs" = "client" ]; then
		    if [ "x$clientargs" = x ]; then
			clientargs="$1"
		    else
			clientargs="$clientargs $1"