Re: propagating desktop settings across accounts and machines

Sure, easy.  Use the skel file mechanism.  This ease of flexibility is why
one would run UNIX over windoze.  What you can do is setup a test user on
your workstation, customize GNOME/X-window-manager to your liking for that
test user.  Once your are happy, you would copy the appropriate files from
that user's ~/.gnome and ~/.x-window-manager to the skel directory
(/etc/skell, or /usr/share/skell).  Then when you create accounts for
students on workstations, they will automatically get a copy of the default
appropriate configs.

But as you mentioned, this could be a nightmare to setup, but it's worth a
shot!

Ideally, in a terminal based environment, you'd use something like Kerberos
or NIS authentication and NFS mapped /home file systems.  In this setup, a
user can use any workstation in a cluster and maintain their profile
settings.

--Brian