Re: gtk-engines and gnome-libs configure troubles

Also sprach Robert Schweikert:

> When I try to run ./configure for gtk-engines and gnome-libs I get the
> following error.
>
> *** Could not run GTK test program, checking why...
> *** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means

> But I did install gtk and the libraries are in /usr/lib
>
> # ls /usr/lib/libgtk*
> /usr/lib/libgtk-1.2.so.0      /usr/lib/libgtk.a   /usr/lib/libgtk.so
> /usr/lib/libgtk-1.2.so.0.5.3  /usr/lib/libgtk.la
>
> What in the world is this looking for? What test program? A path in the
> message would really be nice.

The test program is inline in the configure script.  It sounds
like you may have
an old version of the libraries installed somehwere, or that
your  load libraries are being searched in the wrong order.  To
see where the system is looking for things, examine
/etc/ld.so.conf (on RH, anyway),  and try
man ldconfig to find out more.  As the message recommends, look
for old versions of the required libraries and remove/rename
them.

HTH,
--Jeff T