Re: how to stop gdm from loading?

On 2001.01.31 19:58:34 -0500 JJ D. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently installed helix-gnome and I would rather not have gdm start
> automatically. Is there a way to accomplish this?

If your system comes with linuxconf:  as root in an xterm type "linuxconf
&" . When it comes up go to Config->boot mode->Mode->default boot mode and
click on it.  Select the Text mode & Network button and Accept.  The next
time you boot it will be to a command line login prompt.  Login and type
"startx" to start Gnome.

(from the Gnome FAQ:  http://www.gnome.org/faqs/users-faq/ )

Brett Castleberry