Re: Keyboard mouse equiv?

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 11:27:17PM -0500 or thereabouts, Barthel aus Pennswald wrote:
> On Thu, 2001-12-27 at 16:34, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > IS there any way in Gnome or X to fake a mouse with the keyboard?
> >
> > For example, on the amiga I could hold down a couple of keys and use the
> > arrow keys to move the pointer, and other keys to represend the mouse
> > buttons.
> >
> > IS this possible yet?
>
> It sure is--and has been for years. The only problem is that it's a
> window-mamager issue, so there's no uniformity.

It's an X issue too. Some window managers just use the Xbb extensions
and don't bother adding separate keyboard bindings for them.

I last sent this six months ago, so I might as well again. This was
copied from the README file of WindowMaker:

    Many people ask about adding keyboard control of mouse, like in fvwm,
    but Window Maker will not have such feature. The XKB extension
    supports mouse simulation from the keyboard, in a much more powerfull
    fashion than any simulation done by a window manager.

    To enable it, hit the Control+Shift+NumLock or Shift+NumLock key
    combination. You should hear the speaker beeping. To disable it,
    do the same thing.

    To control the mouse the numeric keypad is used as follows:
    - 4 (left arrow), 7 (Home), 8 (up arrow), 9 (PgUp), 6 (right arrow),
    3 (PgDn), 2 (down arrow) and 1 (End) move the mouse to the
    corresponding direction;
    - holding one of the above keys and then holding the 5 key will
    move the pointer faster;
    - / will select the first mouse button (left button);
    - * will select the second mouse button (middle button);
    - - will select the third mouse button (right button);
    - 5 will do a click with the currently selected mouse button;
    - + will do a double-click with the currently selected button;
    - 0 (Ins) will click and hold the currently selected button;
    - . (Del) will release the currently selected button that was previously
    clicked with the 0 (Ins) key.

It never used to beep for me when I did the starting combination;
but it does now. Dunno what changed. (It worked for me with or
without the beep.)

Telsa