Re: Chinese Support in Gnome

Hello!

According to my best knowledge, there is. I have not tested it,
but have worked with Japanese, and technology used for these
should be nearly the same.

First you have generic chinese support in X to be set up. You may
try searching chinput or xcin packages for your distribution.

Gtk+ should support XIM input by default, so if your language
environment is set up, input should work in all Gtk+ text widgets
(i.e. in most Gnome apps).

As of printing, you need recent (> 0.32) gnome-print, and some
truetype font with right glyph shapes (traditional or simplified) and
unicode encoding available. I know that bitstream cyberbit works, but I
have no idea, which version of CJK characters it implements.
After installing suitable TTF, at least gnumeric and sodipodi
should print without problems. Evolution should also, if you set
up font to be used by GtkHTML.
Abiword has chinese support but I have not tried it. Relying on own
fonts, it needs recent xfontserver and some manual tweaking.
Mileage with other apps may vary.

Best wishes,
Lauris Kaplinski