Maybe the black icon issue?

I recently build and install gnome from source, on a FreeBSD
4.4-STABLE system, with XFree86 4.1.0. They were all the most recent
sources from ftp.gnome.org /pub/gnome/stable/sources, so
gnome-libs-1.4.1.2,  control-center-1.4.0.1, etc.
I also have libpng 1.2.1 installed and imlib 1.9.11, as well as
gtk-1.2.10.
So now to the actual issue. Some of the icons, show up as 'grey'
corrupted images, that is, not the actual image, but some improperly
rendered version of the image. This can be seen in the files

http://dazed.zeppelin.net/jrh/gnome-hozed/gnome-cc-bad-1.png
http://dazed.zeppelin.net/jrh/gnome-hozed/gnome-panel-bad-1.png

As you can see, in fact most images show up properly, but a few have
this corruption. Also, most menus don't display this issue:

http://dazed.zeppelin.net/jrh/gnome-hozed/gnome-panel-okay-1.png

I have indeed read the FAQ with respect to this issue and did make
sure that libpng was up to date, and in fact even tried it with
various older versions of libpng, but there was no change. I fooled
around briefly with the imlib configuration and toggled settings which
seemed like they may effect this, but again nothing. I've tried
starting up with shared memory, but that didn't seem to do the
trick. Any other suggestions?

--
Josh Howard <jrh zeppelin net>