Re: What is the purpose of ~/.gnome/.gnome-smproxy* files?

I checked the gnome bugzilla and you are correct that this is a reported
and assigned bug.

If I removed all instances of the smproxy files from my ~/.gnome
directory, I get the "first login bombs, second succeeds" problem.  I
think the reason that blowing up the .gnome directory and restarting was
gutting me part of the way fixed is that the gnome session manager must
respond by creating that directory if it does not exist.  It it exists
and has no smproxy file in it, I suspect that when the first session
bombs, it creates an smproxy file, available for the next login.  In so
doing, it must not execute /etc/X22/gdm/PostSession/Default...as that is
where I'd had the rm smproxy command located.  This was clearly the
cause of my difficulties.

John

--
John P. Verel
Living Proof That Low Tech Beats High Tech!