Re: Can't shutdown processes

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 02:05:31AM -0800, Jeffrey Cobb wrote:
> Well, that didn't seem to work.
>
> It attempts to load the KDE login the drops back to console and attempts to
> shutdown certain processes:
>
> INIT: switching to runlevel: 3
> INIT: sending processes the TERM signal
> stopping httpd: --failed
> shutting down SMB services: --failed
> shutting down NMB services: --failed
> Starting automount: no mountpoints defined --ok
> Starting pcmcia -- ok
> Starting wine --failed

is httpd, smb etc even running? Maybe they're failing because they arn't running.

Check /etc/rc3.d (or on redhat based confusers /etc/rc.d/rc3.d)

Run level 3 isn't a shutdown anyway, its a multi user level. Thats Why some tasks are trying to start.
read up on run levels, inittab, and the /etc/init.d (/etc/rc.d/init.d) scripts

> login:
> -----
> I've no clue why it's doing this.  I just login as root and clean out the
> /tmp directory, restart xfs and reboot.

Temps not being cleaned because your box isn't shutting down. Its changing run levels

run level 0 is halt, 6 is reboot, 1 is single user mode, 2-5 are multi user mode

What does

telinit 0

do? Shut it down?

> KDE will start now, I just notice when I shutdown that there's all these
> processes that won't stop.
>
> Any idea how I can clean this up??

Fix /etc/inittab

> > Do this if system is refusing to shutdown cleanly
> >
> > # cd /
> >
> > # killall5 -15 <-- relatively safe
> > (wait 3 sec)
> > # killall5 -9 <-- apps may lose data here
> > (wait 3 sec)
> > (repeat these killall5s several times)

This wont work. Itll kill your shell aswell.

Crispin