Re: Esound replacement?

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 08:22:35AM -0800 or thereabouts, Joshua Hansen wrote:
> Just as a side note, is there anything that I can use as an alternative
> to esound or is the future version of Gnome doing anything to just flat
> out replace it? It really doesn't seem to play nice with ALSA and it
> looks the the development on it is pretty much dead (or moving so slow
> that it doesn't matter much).

I can't give an answer, but I can provide some context.

If you go back through the gnome-hackers archives you will find
much discussion on sound architecture. Look for subject lines
of "GNOME CVS: libgnome martin", "More fun with sound" (August 2001)
and a very long thread called "GNOME 2 Sound Architecture and APIs?"
(April 2001). I'm afraid I can't summarise it because I didn't
understand any of it. But it'll give you an idea of what's been
discussed in the past.

There is also a gnome-sound-list at gnome.org, but it seems to
be very quiet. Hmm. There's a bad pun lurking in there somewhere.