window scrolling

As a long time CPM/DOS/Windows user, I think I'm getting the hang of
this Linux thing and Gnome too.  But there's a couple things I can't
figure out.  I'll just ask about one of them for now.

I'm running Redhat 7.1 with a "Ximianized" Gnome.  I've noticed that the
vertical scroll bar (dragbar?) function for most all of my apps behaves
quite differently than what I am accustomed to.  When there is a list to
display and a scrollbar appears in the window, clicking above or below
the scrollbar causes the screen to advance or retreat by only 1/2 of a
screen.  I believe that this is different than one would intuit and I
think the screen should advance and retreat by a full screen.  I haven't
found a way to change this behavior to better suit my tastes.

I mentioned that this is the behavior for "most" of my apps.  Two
exceptions I can think of are Galeon (a Gnome app) and Gnome terminal.
Their scrollbars work as (I feel) they should by advancing (retreating)
a full screen at a time.

Also, page up and page down behave identically to the above scrollbar
description.

Is there a way to change this that I am overlooking?  Thanks!