Language problems

I'm not sure whether my problem lies into X-Windows system or Gnome but
my problem is that I can't install Greek! I have a Greek keyboard of
course; which is properly identified by Mandrake. At first I thought
that it's just me that can't switch the language. But then I saw that
when opening a text file in Greek I would see some strange characters.
So I searched the internet, found some packages but after installing
them I was only rewarded with the backspace key not working. I just
found out that to make it work I have to press Shift-backspace... Queer!
Thanks for your time.