Re: kernel RE-compilation

Rob Wideman wrote:

> I am kinda new to kernel compiles and after make bzImage i did make dep and
> make modules, realized that i forgot to make sure my scsi drivers are built
> into the kernel.  at this point i need to redo the kernel.  The question is
> do i just "make mrproper, make clean, make menuconfig, make bzImage" or is
> there something else i have to do?
> Rob

However I could not see, why your Gnome should be affected by this,

the difference is, when you run make mrproper (which in my eyes is
always a good way)
it cleans even up your Makefile, so'll you have to re-configure the
whole kernel and
all the configuration you have done get's lost, unless you save your
Makefile somewhere else
than in the current Linux Source Tree.

Could you use make xconfig ? If, yes, it's much faster, to go thru the
whole process, as you
can click around with the mouse.

So in your case it would be sufficient to run, make clean, make xconfig,
make dep, make bzImage, make modules, make modules_install.

But I tell you how I do this, I use make xconfig and when done
Configuring I use the tab "Store Configuration to File",in  make
xconfig.
Then I enter "../Config-Kernel-version". Replace kernel-version with
your kernel version you got. No, when you run make mrproper you don't
have to worry about, that your current configuration get's lost. When
you want to re-compile (re-configure ) the kernel you
simply use the tab "Load Configuration from File" and enter
"../Config-Kernel-version" and you got your settings back.

Hope that helps a bit

Carsten
--
Registered Linux User #228992