Re: Please shut up or answer this: how to unsubscribe

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 02:55:47PM +0200 or thereabouts, Fredrik Granlund wrote:
> Anyone who's willing to share information on how to stop receiving
> mail from this newsgroup?

It is a mailing list, not a newsgroup.

> e.g. sending mail with subject unsubscribe to administrator won't help,

The gnome.org lists are run by mailman. Instructions are available
from the site mentioned in the footer message. Which you quoted
four times in the message you sent. Another footer was added as
your message went through mailman. I expect mine will get one too,
but just in case:

Seriously, you should either have provided a password when
you subscribed or received one (four random letters, typically)
in the email you got when you joined the list, and hung onto it.
If you have lost it, type your email into the URL above, and
your password will be sent there. Then go back to that page
and type it into the final box: "To change your subscription...
or unsubscribe from gnome list..."

If this is not working, the address of the gnome-list
admin person is at the bottom of that page. (Thank you,
gnome-list-admin person, btw: I run a mailing list and I
know it gets tiring. So thanks for doing it!) They will
be able to help you. Do allow for some time in case they're
away: from personal experience I can tell you that coming
back from a week's holiday to find daily "UNSUBSCRIBE ME NOW!"
and "Why aren't you talking to me,you ***" messages is not fun.
Getting them hourly is worse.

Finally, if it's all taking too much time, a procmail rule that
will at least stop you seeing it:

  :0:
  /dev/null

Telsa