Re: Gnome Startup Process

"Hamilton, Richard" <Richard Hamilton COMPAQ com> writes:
> I would like to know what loads up and in what order when GNOME starts.
> Looking at my Red Hat 7.1 startup scripts it appears gnome-session starts
> the process of loading GNOME. I don't have any ideal what happens after
> that. I'd like to know what happens from the time gnome-session loads untill
> the desktop appears. I'd to know the same process on how GNOME shuts down as
> well. What processes are terminated and in what order.

There is no defined set of processes, other than the default ones in
/usr/share/gnome/default.session. After your first login, the started
processes are simply those that were saved in your session.

On shutdown, the order of shutdown is normally not defined, other than
that the window manager shuts down last.

> The goal is to have a document that can be used to troubleshooting startup
> and shutdown of GNOME. I'd be interested in writing a howto for others to
> make this information easier to find.

What problems are you having to troubleshoot?

Havoc