Gnome won't start on Solaris 8

Hello

I've downloaded and successfully installed Gnome 1.4 from Sun's site:
http://www.sun.com/software/star/gnome/getgnome14.html

I've set user paths and figured that my Matrox G200 graphics card was
running in 24-bit mode according to install instructions:
http://www.sun.com/software/star/gnome/install.html

However, the graphics card seems to run in 16-bit mode on Solaris 8. I have
Slackware 7 on the same machine and it runs KDE fine in 32-bit mode on the
same graphics card. I start it using:
startx -- -bpp 32

How do I adjust color depth? There are no 24-bit alternatives in kdmconfig,
maximum only 16.

Anyone capable of giving hints? Please!

---
Fredrik Granlund