Re: Mildly annoyed (but growing) ex-WM user

On 31 Jul 2001 18:52:05 -0400, John J. LeMay Jr. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently switched from Window Maker (which I used for years) to Gnome with
> Sawfish. While the speed and look of the enviro is more up to date than WM, I
> have one HUGE complaint. Mind you I do not know if this is the fault of Sawfish
> or if it's a "Gnome-thing".
>
> I run my sessions with "sloppy focus" enabled. Under Window Maker I had the
> option of allowing the application to receive every mouse click, including the
> one that would give the app focus. I ran with this enabled obviously since I
> didn't need a click to give an app focus with sloppy focus. This meant that
> wherever I would click, the app beneath the cursor would respond.
>
> However, since switching (and leaving sloppy focus on) I've noticed that I need
> to click once on the application to give it focus anyhow, even though it already
> has focus since the mouse pointer is over the app. That is, the first time I try
> to click on something in an application after that application receives focus, I
> must click twice.

You should be able to get things to work the way you want. Open up the
control center and go to the section Sawfish window manager->Focus
behavior. Under the focus tab is a checkbox ``does click-to-focus mode
pass the click through to the window.'' If you want sloppy focus then
set the dropdown box to ``enter-only''.

> This is HIGHLY annoying. Can anyone give me some pointers on this? Ie, is it a
> known problem? Is it a Gnome thing or a Sawfish thing?

That should do it. Let me know if it doesn't.

--Ben