Re: RedHat 7.1 + Ximian problems?

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 09:52:09AM -0500, Daniel Hauck wrote:
> I have installed a fresh installation of RedHat 7.1 (Seawolf).  I installed
> "everything" and have added nothing extra.  I have run the Ximian installer
> twice now in two different ways -- first remotely and second by downloading
> all the files from their web site.  In both cases the installer will refuse
> to install anything based on unresolved dependencies.

I'm sorry.

> This is a FRESH install.  Everything is stock.  This is really becoming
> disappointing to me now.  There should be no more ideal installation
> platform than the one I have selected and yet it doesn't work.

I'm sorry.

> Furthermore, there is a lack of flexibility in the installer.  Four install
> options?  What's that?  We have no idea what we are installing in our
> machines?  This is rather Microsoftian don't you think?  "Trust us, we know
> what you want to install."

We chose to give four options because, for the most part, users prefer
it that way.  Additionally, Ximian GNOME 1.4 now includes Red Carpet,
which allows incredibly fine-grained control over the software
installed on your machine after installation.

> The error messages are vague with no apparent way for me to check or report
> precise errors.
>
> So now I have a fresh system that Ximian says will install but does not.  I
> cannot tweak anything so that I can overcome the problems and I cannot
> report the problems accurately because the errors are vague.  What am I to
> do?

The errors are not vague to us.  If you used the go-gnome
pre-installer, it prints out the location of a complete log file of
the installation, and it would help if you could send that file to us.
Also, the error messages that the installer gave to you are
deliberately selectable -- all you have to do is hilight them with
your mouse and paste them into an email.

If you can send me the errors I promise you I will personally
investigate what is going wrong.  Other than that, I don't know what I
can offer you.

--
Ian Peters      "...it is 5 am and the sun has charred the other
itp gnu org      side of the earth and come back to us and painted