Re: ee should be replaced by gqview

On 21 Apr 2001 10:54:25 -0700, Miles Lane wrote:
> Bart Kuik wrote:

> > > eog has no image browsing capability.  I never use it.
> >
> > What about Nautilus' image browsing (after the index-thumbnails are made
> > it works quite fast) and Eog as standard imageviewer in Nautilus?. It
> > works really great for me, and I think that one thing that must be
> > avoided in a good desktop is redundancy, multiple apps that all do the
> > same thing. A standard installation should provide one app for every
> > task, and something like bonobo to embed the app where it's useful, ie
> > as viewer in Nautilus, so that the user gets the same app every time for
> > a specific filetype.
>
> Well, there a loads of image viewers for Windoze.  There's nothing
> wrong with that.

Nope. But there can only be one included in a desktop, and that one must
be simple to use and focused on integration with the desktop. It must be
an app that's easy-to-use by the average-user, and of course, if you do
much work with graphics, you'll need an image-viewer with more options.
Options a normal user shouldn't be confrontated with. Again Bonobo is
cool here. With a solid rendering-engine both simple apps and
feature-rich apps could be made with the same technology. An EOG with
filebrowsing for the graphics-user and one embedded in Nautilus for the
normal user.

> Ideally, your image viewer and editor play
> nice together and the integration with Nautilus _may_ be a boon,
> but I'm not sure about that.

Something to be pushed for the Gimp v2.0. A lean and mean engine that
can be used from lightweight viewer in Nautilus to heavy graphics-app
like the Gimp is now.

> Right now, Nautilus seems too top heavy.  There is a lot that is
> cool about it, but there are problems.  Hopefully, Eazel can last
> long enough to get out Nautilus 3.0.  Maybe that revision will to
> as well as Windoze 3.0 did.

The state Nautilus is in now is not yet a 1.0 in GNU-terms of speaking.
The biggest advantages in speed are made between 0.8 and 0.8.2 ....

>       Miles

Bart