Re: gnome won't talk

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 02:59:55AM -0700 or thereabouts, mjbjr beaudesign com wrote:
> I'm trying to see which version of gnome I'm running.  Gnome Control
> Center doesn't say, and the gnome system information app doesn't say
> either.  When both combine to tell me the distro, OS, cpu, kernel, and
> so-on, why doesn't gnome show its version info?  Seesh.

:)

The best indicators of what version of GNOME you're running are the
versions of gnome-core and gnome-libs. The thing is that GNOME is (more
than?) the sum of its parts. The big co-ordinated releases are far
less common than releases of (say) gnumeric, gnome-print, libxml,
gnome-pim and all the little pieces that make up GNOME. So whilst
if you say "I'm running GNOME 1.4" at the moment, people will have
a good idea of what you have because that just came out, by the
time distros package it, there may have been updates to bits and
pieces but not the whole thing. And they'll probably say on the box
"GNOME 1.4" when it's "1.4 plus bits that got updated and are later
than the original bits that came with 1.4". Urrgh. It's sort of like
distros. If someone says they're running RH 6.2 now, do they mean
"out of the box" or with all the updates for it applied?

There is a gversion program btw, but even that simply goes though
and lists the versions of each package. It doesn't attempt to guess
the "overall gnome version". However, gnome-core has followed the
numbering convention consistently, so that and gnome-libs are often
the ones to look at.

And yes, it is more than a little silly that system info and gnome-about
don't mention the version of GNOME. I agree completely. I've sort of got
used to it, but your post reminds me how aggravating I found this
originally.

Telsa