gnome-wm not running

I am having a bit of a problem with the gnome-wm
portion of my .gnome/session file disapearing. Let me
run you through what happens. I remove all .gnome
files and fire up X. Gnome comes up perfectly. Sawfish
fires up and everything works as it should. I shutdown
gnome, and fire X up once again. This time everything
comes up OK with the one exception that the order in
which all them gnome icons that show up in the splash
screen are in a different order. But that doesnt
effect anything. I check .gnome/session and everything
seems to be OK. I shut gnome down again. Then fire up
X for the 3rd time. This time sawfish doesnt come up.
Gnome complains that there isnt a gnome compliant
windows manager, and sure enough sawfish isnt running.
I check .gnome/session and low and behold the gnome-wm
lines arent there. During the gnome shutdown process
it deletes those lines from the .gnome/session file. I
have absolutely no idea whats going on. If anyone has
any ideas why gnome has decided that I dont need to
have a windows manager fire up I would love to hear
about it. This happens for root, as well as non-root
users. And happens exactly as I explained it every
time. I dont have to do anything but start gnome and
stop it. I've deleted my .gnome and .sawfish
directories in the hopes that maybe there were some
probs but with no luck. If anyone knows how I can even
trouble shoot this problem I would love to hear about
it. This is a fresh compile/install of 1.4.0.1.
Everything else seems fine.

Thanks,
Rick Hansen