Re: kdm (kde) and gnome

It appears that KDE wasn't installed on my RH7 system, however after
installing from the CDROM and then running up2date, I'm still having
problems.  GnoRPM complains that I may have "system instabilities" after
it installs KDE from the original 7.0 installation CDROM.

First off, that's bad.  Warnings about incompatibilities and instabilities
from the original installer disk.  I'm encountering more and more of this
when dealing with RH and Gnome.  Relying on specific versions of libraries
and packages is a bad policy.

Up2date runs fine but doesn't seem to update the KDE packages and then
when I use switchdesk or select KDE from the Session menu on the login
panel... well I get bumped back to the login panel trying to login.  In
other words, KDE won't start up.

So there's my tale of woe.  Apparently KDE didn't get installed properly
(what do I need to do to get it to install correctly?).

Time for lunch...

-- John

John T. Nelson                   Lexonia Internet Services LLC
email: jnelson lexonia com       PO Box 9007
web:   http://www.lexonia.net/   McLean VA, 22102

                Lexonia Internet Services
        Your choice for affordable web hosting, email
                  and dedicated servers