Control panel doesn't configure more than one mouse or keyboard.

I am testing the development kernel's USB support.
I have a standard PS/2 mouse and a USB mouse attached to my machine
and configured for XFree86 4.0.1.  Both mice work fine, with one
exception.  Even though I have specified that I want a left-handed
mouse, the Control Panel seems to only configure the PS/2 mouse,
so I have one left-handed and one right-handed mouse.

Also, I am testing with a standard 104-key keyboard plus a
USB keyboard.  I should have the ability to configure these
keyboards for separate keyboard mappings, et cetera.

Is Gnome being evolved to support the kind of hot-pluggable
devices that Linux will soon support?

Many thanks,

Miles