keymapping in gnome sessions and gdm prompter

Strange, I only got two lines posted in previous post,
thus again:

During a Redhat6.1 installation it occured to me that I got a US
keyboard mapping but wanted a mapping for my german keyboard instead.

Now I'm wondering how I can get this fixed. Where is the central location
to tell all gnome sessions (for all users), which keymap to choose?

Also, in the same vein, it would be nice to adjust the Desktop and .gnome
files for all the 200 users I installed with an automated script.

Copying of the dot files/dirs from one sample user to the others
results in some user dependencies which need to be corrected by a script
or something. For instance the link "Home directory" needs to be
created individually and in some files the user name is hardwired
explicitly (that should be better a variable like $HOME or $USER).

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku gil physik rwth-aachen de