Locking down desktop

I'm looking for a good way to lock down desktop configurations for about 100 users.  The users are on Gnome 1.2 with Sawfish, and they log in via NIS with NFS-mounted /home directories on a server.  I think I might be able to set permissions on their config files so they can't be altered by non-root users, but I don't want to break other processes that might want to access these files.  All I need to do is to prevent users from changing their panels, add/remove programs from the desktop, or change background images, etc.  Basic "corporate" stuff.  This would make an interesting mini-howto....

Thanks,

Andy Richardson
I.T. Manager
Key Financial Systems