Re: some sounds for Gnome

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 04:10:05PM -0400, Elliot Lee wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Sep 2000, Chema Celorio wrote:
>
> > Althou I have not yet downloaded the sounds you've been working with I
> > very much hate the gnome default sounds. The current "Crystal
> > Breaking" sound everytime a dialog comes up is VERY annoying.
>
> I agree that they are cool, but I am pretty sure some of these are from
> Gauntlet - I don't know how free that makes them.

I don't think that they are from Gauntlet. (I have it running now.)
Tho I only have an older laptop to test with atm.
Conrad's sounds sound better than Gauntlet. Icky 8bits. :)

There are plenty of free windows software syths out there that could
make Gauntlet style sounds. (Not to mention Conrad's aube, tho I haven't
gotten it to work.)

There are a couple of  question that I've been thinking these past months.
How do you insure that all sounds are Free and not ripped from somewhere?

What license(s) can one use for Free sounds? Open Content, Ethymonics Free
Music License, or a modified GNU FDL to include sounds or rewritten to only include
sounds.

<small snip>
> ... I suspect just having the sounds out there is an amazing first step ahead
> of the present set, and I think the collective efforts of interested people
> can come up with a gnome-audio for the next big GNOME release.

Yep. I'll be doing what I can until I settle some umm certain matters.

Erik
--
All music aspires to the condition of muzak.