Re: upgrading GNOME

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 11:20:41AM -0700 or thereabouts, Ben FrantzDale wrote:
> > How do I upgrade GNOME ?
> > Am using RH 6.0. HelixCode installation
> > is having problems.
> > If I try to upgrade gnome-core or gnome-libs,
> > I end up in too many dependency problems.
>
> gnome-core and gnome-libs don't depend on too too much. What are the

Hmm. http://www.gnome.org/faqs/users-faq/compiling.html
Q: "In what order do I compile the packages"

A: [snip]
   numbers 1-7: various stuff.
   number 8: gnome-libs
   numbers 9-14: various stuff.
   number 15: gnome-core.

I suppose it depends on your definition of "doesn't depend on too much".
I'm actually in favour of lots of little packages, but yes, this can
be hell to sort out if you're not sure what requires what.

> dependency problems? Have you installed anything gnome related from source?
> are you running the Helix installer or are you using the RPMs directly?

If you were running vanilla RH, I'd say "get the GNOME 1.2 stuff Alan
did at ftp://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/linux/alan/GNOME-1.2/"; as simpler, but
I don't know whether that upgrades neatly over helix stuff: it was
designed for people who wanted GNOME 1.2 on their RH systems without
having to upgrade rpm and practically everything else.

Telsa