Re: gnome-terminal broken

You might have corrupted the 'Terminal' file in your ~/.gnome directory?
Try moving it to something like Terminal.old and then launch a
gnome-terminal and see if Gnome recreates it for you.

Also, does this just happen to you logged in as a user?  Does it happen when
you are logged in as root, or when other users (if there are any) are logged
in?