Re: Lost characters in gnome-terminal

On Sun, Sep 03, 2000 at 07:48:08PM +0000 or thereabouts, Steve Cox wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if anyone may have some ideas on this.
> I recently upgraded the helix installation (rpms)
> from 1.2 to 1.2.1. All is working fine except for
> gnome-terminal. when anything is output on the display,
> areas of the window do not display any characters.
[and then added]
> OK,  I've been experimenting and I've got it sorted -
> it was running gnome-terminal with sawfish 0.30.2 with
> the LockSmith theme (!?)
> Any other WM or sawfish theme sorts it out.
> Oh well, that Loksmith theme was quite nice.....

I saw this running Gnome 1.2 as provided by the RH beta. I was
using a different window manager, I -think-, but it's hard to be
sure; I was playing with all manner of things.

In my case, when a window in the top left of the screen was slightly
overlapped by another window in the bottom right and you did 'cat'
or 'more' or some other things, you got very very strange results.
I met it whilst trying to read documentation to sort something else
out, and consequently it irritated me a lot :)

I know the RH people were looking at it, and I think it came up
on gnome-devel-list too (long thread about patches, involving Havoc,
Michael Zucchi and others, last week I think). There was even a
suggestion that it was a very hairy X bug, and that slightly
changing things that were drawn on the screen (as you, for example,
changed your theme) stopped tripping X into doing it. Whether that's
the case I don't know, but it matches your symptoms, I think?

Telsa