Lost characters in gnome-terminal

Hi,

I wonder if anyone may have some ideas on this.
I recently upgraded the helix installation (rpms)
from 1.2 to 1.2.1. All is working fine except for
gnome-terminal. when anything is output on the display,
areas of the window do not display any characters.

e.g.

[ro
[ro
[ro
[root@linuxhost /root]ls
bo
sq
foo.bar date etc

This seems to happen for the first part of output -
listings, cats etc.

Changing the font, colour etc has no benefit but
using a background image seems to cure the problem.
Also, hi-lighting any missing section reveals the
missing characters - as does resizing the window or
using the scroll bar. The verion installed is from:

gnome-core-1.2.1-0mdk_helix_1.i586.rpm

Ther previously installed:

gnome-core-1.2.0-0mdk_helix_1.i586.rpm

seemed to work OK