re: probs with gnome

Hi there all,
                    I have some probs with gnome starting the
gnomepager_applet on rh6.2 XF86 4.0.1,
when Gnome starts up I get the error message:
"QUESTION: I've detected a panel already running. Start another panel as
well?"
No matter what I answer no panel. And I can't see any process running
another panel as well...

[mobtek kaotix mobtek]$ /usr/bin/gnomepager_applet
Gdk-ERROR **: BadPixmap (invalid Pixmap parameter)
type = 2 exid = IDL:CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0

** CRITICAL **: file applet-widget.c: line 675
(gnome_panel_applet_corba_init): assertion `ev._major ==
CORBA_NO_EXCEPTION' failed.

** CRITICAL **: file applet-widget.c: line 708 (applet_widget_new):
assertion `corbadat!=NULL' failed.

** ERROR **: Can't create applet!

aborting...
Aborted (core dumped)

OR

mobtek kaotix mobtek]$ panel &
[1] 1232
[mobtek kaotix mobtek]$ Gdk-ERROR **: BadPixmap (invalid Pixmap
parameter)

[1]+  Exit 1                  panel

It will run as root but not as this user.
Does anyone have any ideas on where I should look first to fix this?
Would upgrading GTK, Glib do the trick?

OT- at the same time this occured XFS wouldn't start on boot.

cheers Peter vdm