Everything is HUGE

Help. I'm a newbie.
My GNOME windows are HUGE! and so are the fonts. In some cases I can get the window to fit but the borders, fonts etc are still huge.

I have tried the following:
1) Red the FAQ on the GNOME page
1) right click ->Window Size->Size->Max Size Toggle. Avail MAx Size
Width Height etc.
2)xf86Config - I have tried all kinds of configurations including momchrome, VGA, SVGA etc. I have the monitor and video adapter specs to refer to.
3)XConfigurator - fails. unable to configure

One possibility. After I do xf86Config do I need to copy the file somewhere before I type startx?

I am using Red Hat 6.1 with an SIS 5597 onboard VGA adapter with a Packard Bell PentiumII