Re: bonobo library hell

I think I may know of a method that would work,  but it would take a bit of work.

First, are you just trying to install from rpms or compile it yourself?

Install:

	* install each version of bonobo one at a time,
	* for each version, go to /usr/lib and copy the libbonobo.so.x file to some other local directory
	* at the end copy each of the libbonobo.so.x files back to /usr/lib

	( this will have a shared library for each API modification )

	* install the programs (you may need to install the apps while the rpm for it's desired version is installed, then use the --nodeps flag when upgrading bonobo)

Compile:
	To compile it is similar to just installing it.

	* you will need the headers for each version, and to switch them for each app to compile
	* do the same steps as for the install to get a copy of each library version in /usr/lib

	( I'm not sure if you might need to play some other tricks to get the linker to accept the appropriate shared library file while compiling )

Disclaimer:
	This is more or less a hack to get around rpm's mechanisms to maintain a clean system.  As I think about it, copying the library files to /usr/lib will (most likely) prevent them from being removed the next time you do an upgrade.  You will have to remember that they are there and clean it up manually.  I used this method to upgrade gnome-print while keeping the shared library file that some apps were linked against and needed.

-D