OT: RH7.0 difficulties

This is not directly related to GNOME (AFAICT) but the people on gnome-list are very intelligent, friendly and helpful so I'm asking anyways.

I previously had RH6.1 installed.  I did a full install (not upgrade) of RH7.0 and am having a few problems.

*	all shells and apps start in /etc/X11 as the cwd, not $HOME
*	I can't boot or shutdown if a formatted zip disk isn't in the drive
*	rpm claims that many packages that came with RH are newer that the latest version I just compiled (ex:  had gnome-libs-1.2.1,  built gnome-libs-1.2.5 and rpm said 1.2.1 was newer than 1.2.5)

I can work around the last problem (I unistalled with --nodeps then installed the new version immediately after).

I didn't have any of these problems with 6.1.  I have managed to resolve all other problems I had when I first installed 7.0 (mostly configuration options I forgot about and had to find again :-))

Thank you in advance for all of your assistance and the lack of flames for an OT message.

-D