Few things about gnome...

Hi to all !
I'm quite fairely new on this list and to using gnome. First of all, I'd
like to say that gnome seems to be as great as KDE, and indeed it will
be hard to make a choice. Anyway, I'd like to know a few things about
gnome, about things I can't work around. First of all, is there a way to
have the num-lock set to on when gdm asks for username and password ?
Secondly, I can't have my keyboard work properly under gnome
environnement. I've set it up to fr, but I can't get the 'lesser
than/greater than' touch to work ? I've a win9X compliant keyboard, so,
how could I set it up ?
I'm running SuSE Linux 6.4, with both XFree 3.3.6 and the new fresh
update packages of gnome (I've downloaded all on Friday). If anyone
could help... Thanks by advance...