Re: How do I remove GNOME?

"Martin Welch" <mwelch totalise co uk> writes:

> I've decided to build GNOME from CVS and I'm checking out the modules as I
> speak. I'd like to remove my existing GNOME setup (which I built from
> source).

Modules that are implemented correctly according to file hierarchy
standards, using GNU AutoConf and AutoMake, come with the standard
'make uninstall' hook.

> What do I need to do to achieve this? Any other hints, tips or pointers?

What --prefix did you use?  Default AutoConf prefix is /usr/local

Instead of "make install", why not use a packaging system such as
RPM next time to install the leading (bleading?) edge modules? :)

Corrections to this is welcome: (specially since I'm a Debian user :-)

0) Checkout the code from GNOME CVS.
1) Edit (or write the) GNOMEAPP.spec to contain output of `date --iso`
   (provided you don't build GNOME from CVS every day yourself or is a
   RPM maintainer:) in the "Release:" field (usually defined by %rel).
2) make dist (alternatively use make distcheck, if the source is known
   to be a release candidate.)
3) Copy the resulting GNOMEAPP.tar.gz file to /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/
4) Copy the GNOMEAPP.spec to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/
5) su to root.
6) rpm -bb /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/GNOMEAPP.spec
7) rpm -Uvh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/$arch/GNOMEAPP-$Version-$Release.rpm
8) If the application doesn't already have a GNOMEAPP.spec file, then
   write one and send it to the maintainer.

Some time in the future there will be support for automatically
generating packages (eg. Debian packages, RPM packages, Solaris
packages, etc).

Configuration scripts produced by AutoConf require no manual user
intervention when run; which is convenient when configuring large
source trees.

--
ole linpro no                                        + 47 22 87 11 80
System Consultant                                    + 47 22 87 11 81