Re: Helix & Redhat 7 (The Jones is over)

Bart wrote:

> I upgraded RH6.2 to RH7.0 using the Red Hat Upgrade option.  All was well
> (including Sawfish).
>
> Then I installed Helix GNOME for RH7, running the lynx script and the
> Install Everything option.
>
> Sawfish did not work, as follows: there are no windows around my windows,
> if you know what I mean.  My windows are borderless.  I switch to
> Enlightenment and everything works fine.  Back to Sawfish, and my borders
> are gone again.

A recent sawfish upgrade had some problems.  At least some of this is
sawfish getting into a (seemingly persistently) confused state when
sawfish is upgraded while the old version of sawfish is running.  The
following is probably needlessly violent, but I don't know of any less
simple ways that will work for everyone:

1) log out of X.
2) log in through a virtual terminal.
3) mv ~/.sawfish ~/.sawfish.bak
4) log into X again.  You get a new ~/.sawfish that isn't broken.
5) You might try copying ~/.sawfish.bak/custom to ~/.sawfish and see
whether that breaks things.  If it does, let us know (and please send us
a copy of it to play with), and I'm afraid you'll have to redo your
settings manually.  I'm not sure it's necessary, though.

--
-Mark Gordon