Re: Trouble with install

On Saturday, October 14, 2000 22:56 -0700, Tim Hanson <tjhanson home com> wrote:
+-----
| Why, when I type in "startx gnome-session" can I get to GNOME only when
| I'm logged in as root?  My permission on that file seems okay.
+--->8

"startx gnome-session" runs the regular session (xinitrc) with "gnome-session" as an argument; unless your xinitrc knows to look at its arguments to select a session, this does precisely nothing.

You're supposed to be able to get around this with a full pathname, but a longstanding bug in startx (since 3.3.5 when I reported it to the XFree86 folks; no response and no fix seen...) makes this not work.

--
brandon s. allbery     [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]    allbery kf8nh apk net
system administrator        [WAY too many hats]          allbery ece cmu edu