change font for Balsa internationaliztion

I have another problem with fonts and Balsa.
I can set the fonts to read messages in Russian,
say in koi8-R all right.

But I cannot force Balsa to use the same fonts when I
compose message somehow !  It alway enforces the
encodings which is implicitely set in Language dialog.
Namely, if I don't touch anything then 'iso8859-1' is substituted
in my chosen font name in place of 'koi8-r', and if I choose
'Russian' language - 'iso8859-5'. And those fonts are non-existent
on my machine

Now, as a side remark, I personally don't know anybody using iso8859-5
encoding for russian (I know, it is iso standard). Everybody uses either

koi8-r or Microsoft cp1251.

But, more importantly. Why for message composition does Balsa just not
honour what font (end encoding) is selected ?
Choice of language, which lead only to encoding sustitution (to my
understanding)
is fairly useless anyway, since to use other language the font is self
has to be changed
more often than not.  (I understand, Balsa model will work when one
deals with a font collection like Times New Roman, which can handle
multiple encodings.
So choosing enconding will get you a proper subset.  But on Unix
systems, more often people are using separate fonts for separate
languages and/or encodings)

Anyway, this is what stopping me from using Balsa now - I did not find a
way write in koi8-r

                            Best regards
                            Dmitri Pogosyan