Enlightening Helix gnome on mandrake

Hi
I've just installed helix gnome onto  my mandrake installation. (Very impressive install process at the risk of sounding nieve). I'd like to use gnome under enlightenment - I have E set up just how I like it, I love the pagers and Icon box and can't replicate some of the finer points in sawfish.
My problem is that even when I set enlightenment to the current window manager in the gnome ctrl panel and change default.wm to enlightenment (which is how I used to do it when I had SuSE),  when I start gnome, sawfish always takes over, replacing my default.wm with one that lists sawfish.
Am I not able to use gnome under E anymore?
Glenn