Red Hat 6.2 colour problem?

Hi,

I have recently used the helixcode site to update GNOME on three of my
red hat boxes (at http://www.helixcode.com/desktop/download.php3).  Two
of them are running RH 6.2 and the other is on 6.1.

Unfortunately, the 6.2 boxes now suffer from reduced colours, making
everything in Sawfish (and Enlightenment) look coarse and grainy (256
colours?).
A typical symptom is this: the lovely blue/purple flower on the splash
screen looks terrible - a few 'bands' of colour rather than the smooth,
realistic appearance that was there before the upgrade.
The 6.1 box is fine.

Reconfiguring X does not help.

It seems like a version difference but I'm not 100% sure ... (could it
be related to graphics cards)?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

-- Chris