Re: --rebuilding xscreensaver from src rpm

On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 12:34:21PM +0930, Dan Kortschak wrote:

			[...snip...]

> (I've seen this with other redhatish src packages too). Can
> anyone suggest a solution or point me in the right direction?

		Hi there,
this is not totally offtopic, as it can happen to you anytime you're
trying to build a binary-rpm... (could be a gnome-rpm ;-) )

In the cases s.th. like that occured to me, it has always been one of
these two reasons:

	a) a "Prerequesite" missing, which was not nescessary
	   for the build but seems to be nescessary for the install

	b) the spec-file included files to be packaged in the bin-rpm, but
	   they were neiter availabe in the pack nor generated at
	   build-time.

my way out of this is to build with

rpm -vvv -bb <spec-file> 2>&1 |tee .rpm-buildlog
	(you are using "bash" as your shell, ain't you ?)

and look in .rpm-buildlog for signs of a) or be b) being the case.

in case of a), try to look if the required prog or package  really
isn't present on your system or if it just is placed or called
different...

In case of b) , note the files missing and comment them out in the
%files  - section at the end of the spec.
This, of course, will not work if vital parts are missing.

All of this requires a little basic know-how, as you surely understand,
but since you're on the gnome-list...   :)

		HTH, drifter