RE: question regarding mime types - please help

--------------Replied message--------------
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 08:18:28 +0200
From: Jose Correia <jose exinet co za>
To: gnome-list gnome org
Subject: question regarding mime types - please help

Hi all

I'm trying to associate a certain MIME TYPE with an application
command.

I go and add a mime type to the Settings->MimeType program and I
add:
Mime type: application/Reader
Extension: .tet

I then press OK and go back and edit it(my new mime type). It now
allows
me to type in a "open" command.
I type in : java -jar test.jar
(this is supposed to take in the file I double click on as a
parameter... is this correct or is there a need to put some kind of $1
at the end)
I press Ok and relogin to make sure the new type is accepted. I then go
to a file of type .tet using the GNOME file manager (xfm) and I double
click on it but nothing happens.

I have successfully done this using KDE. Am I missing some step?
Under
extension I have also tried removing the dot from tet...

Regards and TIA
Jose Correia
Exinet (pty) Ltd
Jose,

If you want to associate a file with an executable to execute just
add '%f'  to the open command.
For example: I have the following association for .py files 'Open:
python %f'. I understand from your post that 'test.jar' takes a .tet file
as an argument, so your 'Open:' line should read 'java -jar test.jar
%f'.
Hope this helps,

Mart van de Wege